dinsdag 8 januari 2013

Jessica Andersen – Skykeepers

The third book in the Nightkeepers series, published August 4, 2009.
Genre: paranormal romance
Cover: busy, but I like it.

Sky Keepers

Ancient prophecy holds that December 21, 2012, will bring a global cataclysm. Mankind’s only hope lies with the Nightkeepers, modern magic-wielding warriors who must find their destined mates and fulfill old legends to defeat the rise of terrible Mayan demons.
Michael Stone is a man with a dark secret that has skewed his magical abilities dangerously toward the underworld. Seeking redemption, he sets out on a perilous mission to save the daughter of Ambrose Ledbetter, a renowned Mayanist who died before he could reveal the location of a hidden library. The Nightkeepers must find the library before their enemies gain access to its valuable cache of spells and prophecies.
Sasha Ledbetter grew up hearing heroic tales of an ancient group of sword-brandishing magi who would save the world from destruction. She never expected that her bedtime stories would come to life in the form of Nightkeeper Michael Stone, or that she’d hold the key to the warrior’s survival. As Sasha and Michael join forces to prevent the imminent battle, sparks of attraction ignite between them, and they’re forced to confront the unexpected passion that brings them together … and also tears them apart.


I have to admit, reading this book now the dreaded date has come and gone with nothing major happening, it takes away a bit of the suspense. But I just think to myself, the Nightkeepers have obviously succeeded in their goals, and now I want to find out what they have done to make it so. And there is something about those books, that keeps me thinking about it, long after I have finished them.


A year ago, Sasha Ledbetter tried to find her father Ambrose Ledbetter, who disappeared in the South American jungle. She promised to give him the funeral he wanted, so if he is dead as people think he is, she is to find his body, and she knows where to look for it. But unfortunately, some lunatics find her, and keep her prisoner for over a year now, trying to make her tell where her father hid the secret library of the Nightkeepers. But she doesn’t know it, and they don’t want to believe that. So now they have decided to use her as a human sacrifice.
All this time, the Nightkeepers have been looking for her, unable to find the hiding place of the Xibalba cult. Now, at the last moment, Lucius has managed to subdue his demon long enough to contact them and tell them where they are, and what they plan to do to Sasha. The Nightkeepers want Sasha, as they suspect her father was one of them, and that means, she is as well. Their numbers are too small to battle evil over 3 years, and they need her. And of course her knowledge of her father and where he could have hidden the library. Michael Stone especially wants to rescue her. Ever since he saw her picture a few years ago, he knows she is his. But there is something dark and deadly inside of him, and he doesn’t know if he can keep it contained much longer. His past is racing to catch up with him, and he does not want to endanger Sasha or anybody else. But he also doesn’t dare confide in Strike, his King, or in his winikin.

Of course it was a trap, but still the Nightwalkers manage to escape it with Sasha. Iago doesn’t seem to mind though, he has found out what he wanted to know, and promises Michael he will get him and Sasha before the Solstice.
Sasha thinks she has gone from the frying pan into the fire. Those people are just as crazy as her father was, and as her previous captors are. Rich role playing people, who believe in the Mayan calendar, and actually believe they have magic? Prepostorous. But it is not, and when they prove it to her, she has to believe that everything Ambrose told her, was true. And when she goes through her first ceremony, it is revealed that Sasha is a full sister to Strike and Anna, hidden by her mother, given away to the Queen’s brother to keep her safe. But getting away from his family and his people, severing his connection to the barrier has damaged something in Ambrose, making him unbalanced and cruel. Sasha’s youth was not an easy one, and she never could please Ambrose. So she finally stopped trying, and became a chef. And now she has found a family and a place to belong at last.
If only Michael would not keep attracting her, and pushing her away again. But she is worth more than being treated like that, and she will not keep going after him. He better get his shit in order, and fast!
But then the secrets about Michaels bloodline are revealed, when Michael goes ballistic in the jungle, protecting Sasha and the other Nightkeepers from Iago and his Xibalbans. History is repeating itself, and Michael is a Gods ordained assassin. He will not have a choice in his victims, as he did not when working black ops. First his mind was damaged by drugs and conditioning, but now everything has come back to haunt him, and he cannot be that person ever again. If the gods leave him no choice, what is he to do?


I loved this book. It was totally new again, and different form the first two, though of course the story arc continues. I liked Michael and Sasha both a lot, who have been through hell and made it out of there alive. They are great together, but I liked how they grew into their own powers, and their place in it all. The Nightkeepers do win the battle, but their enemies also gain power, and do not really loose either. So I am looking forward to the next book, which is on my shelves already.

It is not too late to start reading this series, although it is of course a little bit dated now. It is an exciting and fresh, original story, with great characters. I like the magic, and how they change from loose people, in a unit, with a goal and a purpose.

9,5 stars



Love this book

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

© 2012 Reviews by Aurian

16 opmerkingen:

  1. YEAH! I have read the first two and own the whole series. I will be reading it this year :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I'm with you, Michael and Sasha are great! I think this series has a bit more to it than a typical paranormal romance and I love that. I have just one more book left then I'm done with the series. I'm hesitant to start Rabbit's book because I don't want it to end.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. O yes, Rabbit is the last book. I am so curious about him. I will have to read this series fast though, it doesn't let go of me.

      Verwijderen
  3. oh yes!!! I loved this one and am delighted to see you did too!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I'll read the next books soon Kim. Did you finish already?

      Verwijderen
  4. Oh I still need to read the first 2 and I love that this one was fresh. Oh yea, these are all on my wishlist!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Try to find the time Melissa, I think you will like them.

      Verwijderen
  5. As long as it's not too dated, with that I mean assholes men from the 80, lol. So yes I think I will be good

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. No, it is very modern, just related to the date 21-12-2012.

      Verwijderen
  6. I have to start this series. Thanks for your awesome review and recommendation. I love a book that stays with me.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi Readingista, thanks for stopping by. I hope you will enjoy the series as much as I do.

      Verwijderen
  7. Hmm, this one is so new to me! But sounds like a great read. And a great adventure. :) Thank you for sharing. :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. It sure is a different series Melissa, hope you will find the time to read it.

      Verwijderen
  8. I know I know I'll have to add this series to my wishlist! AAAAh too many books! I discover so many with you it's terrible lol.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen