vrijdag 20 maart 2015

Recommendations from Freya for March 2015.

In order to bring some more variety to my blog, I have asked some of my bookish friends to tell about the books they have in the past month, and to give us a recommendation. Today’s post is made by Freya from Holland.

Freya:

Last month I’ve read several books. I’m still not reading much, my new job takes al lot of energy. But I’ve read a great book by Grace Draven, two novella’s by Lisa Marie Rice and two books by Connie Brockway.

I loved Radiance by Grace Draven, but that was already beautifully reviewed by Karin
here

So I’ll talk about Connie Brockway. I’ve read one book from the early day of her writing career: All through the night and a recent one: The songbird’s seduction. The one I liked best was

Connie Brockway - All through the night.

 photo n98083_zpsza9vu6vr.jpg

A woman compelled. . .
In the glittering world of Regency England, Anne Wilder played a dangerous game. A widowed lady by day, by night she became a masked thief preying on society's elite. She roved high above London's black rooftops, compelled by phantoms from her past to take ever greater risks. Until her restless spirit led her into Colonel Jack Seward's trap. . . where seduction was her only way out.
A man obsessed. . .
She'd played him for a fool, taking advantage of his hungry response to escape from his clutches. But as Jack hunted for his thief, his heart fell captive to a self-possessed widow. Torn between illicit passion and tender love, Jack is duty-bound to capture the audacious criminal, even if it means ripping society apart to do so. Now he stalked her through the ton, never realizing the lovely widow who captured his heart was the same woman who roused his most violent passions.
A love that defied king and country. . .


It’s a captivating story about a widow and a spy.
This was a very emotional story, when you read about the lives of Jack and Anne. Very poignant, with very complex and compelling characters.
Anne was married to a, on the surface, perfect man, who loved her and couldn’t live without her. But the ton never saw his darker side. Jack was taken from the workhouse by spymaster Jamison, as his bastard son, and raised and taught by him to follow in his footsteps.
When Jack gets the order to arrest the Wrexhall’s Wraith he finds a woman, who then escapes him and he can’t forget her. At the same time he meets Anne Wilder and falls in love with her.
What follows is a captivating tale about spies, kings, treachery, love and hate that kept me glued to the pages of the book. Jack’s love for Anne and his obsession with the Wraith are the driving forces of the story, together with the mystery of why Jamison wants the Wraith.

I can really recommend this book for people who want to read a regency that isn’t about the lords and ladies of the ton, but real characters living on the edges of Society.

Freya photo Freya 2_zpseia5fuhr.jpg

Aurian: Thanks for the recommendation Freya! It sounds like a great story, and I hope to read some of her books before the LoveLetter Convention in Berlin. How about you, reader, has anyone read Connie Brockway’s books?




© 2015 Reviews by Aurian

7 opmerkingen:

  1. I've been wanting to try her books and this is giving me incentive. Might be this one!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thanks, I don't know if it's readily available, but it's a great find.

      Verwijderen
  2. I have read and enjoyed some of her books :D

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. That is good B! I hope to read some more books soon. If I can find them ...

      Verwijderen
  3. She's a good writer, I'll keep on reading and enjoying the books!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Hi Freya, I loved Radiance too! I read it after Karin her wonderful review. I haven't read this book but it sounds nice.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen