maandag 17 september 2012

J.D. Robb – Delusion in Death

Book 35 in the In Death series, published September 11, 2012.
Genre: futuristic suspense
Cover: the usual for this series.

Delusion in Death

It was just another after-work happy-hour bar downtown, where business professionals unwound with a few drinks . . . until something went terribly wrong. And after twelve minutes of chaos and violence, eighty people lay dead. Lieutenant Eve Dallas is trying to sort out the inexplicable events. Surviving witnesses talk about seeing things - monsters and swarms of bees. They describe sudden, overwhelming feelings of fear and rage and paranoia. When forensics gives its report, the mass delusions make more sense: It appears the bar patrons were exposed to a cocktail of chemicals and illegal drugs that could drive anyone to temporary insanity - if not kill them outright. But that doesn't explain who would unleash such horror - or why. And if Eve can't figure it out fast, it could happen again, anytime, anywhere. Because it's airborne. . . .


I am in awe of JD Robb all over again with this book. The horrible things she describes, which can become true at any moment, the psychological profiles and the insight in humanity she shows.

This book is a race against the clock for Eve to find out the truth, before the killer gets to his next target. She needs all the manpower available to sort through so many data, so many victims and their families, to find a possible motive, and evidence. The effect of the drugs are gruesome, luckily short lived, but very fast working. And it has it roots in the Urban Wars and some obscure cult called the Red Horse. It’s Summerset who gives her this clue, and his information proves invaluable. But Eve will also have to work with Homeland Security on this case, and she is not sure she can, or that Roarke can. Sure, the agency has conducted an internal investigation, and they claim the bad apples are removed and imprisoned, but have they really rooted them all out? Still, she needs their resources, and Agent Teasdale is not trying to take over the investigation at the moment.

Still, Eve’s instinct and Dr. Mira’s profile prove true, and now she needs to gather evidence to back up her suspicions. When the killer strikes again the next day, she did not expect that. More people are death, but a number could be saved as well, thanks to the officers who got on scene so early. And more clues are gathered.

Eve has to deal with her personal demons as well, but with the help of Roarke and Dr. Mira, she manages to get on top of it again. And she will stand for all those victims, and find the murderer.


A great mystery, a very real danger is described here. A coldblooded killer who is proud of his heritage, but Eve nails him. I really enjoyed how she played him, and just when I thought that was it, the plot went on, and it was great and totally unexpected.
As always, besides enjoying a great and suspenseful mystery, I enjoyed the interaction between Eve and Roarke, and Eve and her coworkers. Not much time for the usual secondary characters and their private lives though, like Mabel and Leonardo, this one was really focused on the plot.
What more can I say? I very much enjoyed it, and loved it. And I so recommend it to all mystery lovers.

10 stars.



Autobuy authorLove this book

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

© 2012 Reviews by Aurian

6 opmerkingen:

  1. You're quick. Due to illness I couldn't read as much as I wished this weekend. But this book is very high on my TBR! (I'll be reading it after I finish my current book)
    J.D. Robb is one of my favourite writers, can't wait to dive into this book!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I am so far behind in this series but I really do enjoy it. What a great review!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. O Felicia, I envy you! You have so many great books waiting for you!

      Verwijderen
  3. Oh man! I've not read a book by her yet, but she is on my have to read list. Now with this review I know I MUST read it!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Melissa, I do recommend to read them in order. Not for the mystery part, but for the development of their personal lives.

      Verwijderen