dinsdag 25 februari 2014

Recommendations from Karin for February 2014.

In order to bring some more variety to my blog, I have asked some of my bookish friends to tell about the books they have in the past month, and to give us a recommendation. Today’s post is made by Karin from Austria.

Karin:

I have bought a whopping 5 books this month and I found exactly one I’d like to recommend:

Pamela Palmer: A Kiss of Blood
It’s the second in a series, but I didn’t really like the first one. I think this second one is better. So this is how far the recommendations for the new books go.

 photo n413756_zpsf4513fad.jpg

Only one woman can save vamp city . . .
One of the few humans who managed to escape the deadly twilight world of Vamp City, Quinn Lennox vows never to return. But the vampires want her back, for only she has the power to renew the magic of their crumbling world and free the vampires trapped within.
When the dangerous and all-too-seductive Arturo Mazza comes for her, Quinn knows she can never trust him after the betrayal she suffered at his hands. But with her beloved brother's fate hanging in the balance, and her own power beginning to emerge, she chooses to risk all on yet another perilous journey back to Vamp City. And though she tries to deny it, her heart begins to hold hope that even a ruthless vampire can learn the meaning of true love . . .
As far as the rest of my recommendations go I’d like to mention two of my all time favourite books.

Loretta Chase: The Last Hellion

 photo n91387_zpse11fbc4a.jpg

Amused by a pert, sultry journalist's attack-dog tactics, Vere Mallory, seventh Duke of Ainswood, vows to teach Lydia Grenville some humility but winds up learning a lesson in passion.

This book is a joy to read; Vere and Lydia are both bigger than life characters and their verbal sparring is so witty I found myself laughing time and again.
The heroine certainly is no damsel in distress, she holds her own in a unique way. She lives her life as she sees fit and when Vere stumbles into her life and refuses to leave, she challenges him whenever she finds a chance to do so.
The hero on the other hand is just enough of a rake so as not to be annoying. He is just enough tortured that the reader feels sorry for him. Vere is attracted to Lydia so that he even considers to propose although he would deny it to his last breath in the beginning.
They both together bring out the best in each other.
When you begin reading, you’ll be immediately sucked into this book. I literally did not put it down until I had finished it and I’ve re-read it 4 times!

Another author I’d like to recommend:

Rachel Gibson: See Jane Score

 photo n106825_zpsb6ce7f83.jpg

This is Jane
A little subdued. A little stubborn. A little tired of going out on blind dates with men who drive vans with sofas in the back, Jane Alcott is living the Single Girl existence in the big city. She is also leading a double life. By day, she's a reporter covering the raucous Seattle Chinooks hockey team -- especially their notorious goalie Luc Martineau. By night, she's a writer, secretly creating the scandalous adventures of "Honey Pie" ... the magazine series that has all the men talking.
See Jane Spar
Luc has made his feelings about parasite reporters -- and Jane -- perfectly clear. But if he thinks he's going to make her life miserable, he'd better think again.
See Jane Attract
For as long as he can remember, Luc has been single-minded about his career. The last thing he needs is a smart-mouthed, pain-in-the-backside reporter digging into his past and getting in his way. But once the little reporter sheds her black and gray clothes in favor of a sexy red dress, Luc sees that there is more to Jane than originally meets the eye.
Maybe it's time to take a risk. Maybe it's time to live out fantasies. Maybe it's time to ... see Jane score.

I think this is one of Gibson’s best books. It has just the right amount of humour which doesn’t feel forced at any time, the attraction between Jane and Luc grows throughout the book, the growth of the relationship is believable (although I do not really like the “Plain Jane turns into a ravishing beauty – theme”). In the end there is one big misunderstanding because Jane does something really dumb. But she takes responsibility for her action, she explains things, grovels a little and voila`- there is the HEA I’ve been waiting for.
I am not a big ice hockey fan and I know next to nothing about the NHL, so I could certainly use “Hockey for Dummies”, but in this book you aren’t bothered too much with the rules of the game – one gets by easily just as I did.

Aurian: Thanks for the recommendations Peggy! I have not read any of those books, I do have Pamela Palmer shifter’s series on my shelves though. I am glad the second book in the new series is better. It was fun meeting with her last year in Berlin.
How about you, reader, have you read any of those books? Do you want to?




© 2014 Reviews by Aurian

20 opmerkingen:

  1. I have See Jane score but have not read it yet

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. The Last Hellion sounds like a wonderful read!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Oh all these look good, but I think A Kiss of Blood would be my first of these to try!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Oh I love Rachel Gibson. That was a fun read :) I've not read the others but have them on my tbr list. Palmer is one I'm trying in March :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Goodness thanks for reminding me I have Pamela Palmer's series!

    P.S. new follower

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi Braine, welcome to the blog! I hope you like the Pamela Palmer books.

      Verwijderen
  6. oh many new books to me this week, thank you!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. I'm so glad you like my recommendations!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. I'm a big fan of Loretta Chase. I've got almost all of her books (still searching for her old regencies). The scoundrels series is great. My favourite is still "Lord of Scoundrels".
    But I haven't read her in quite a while. Must remedie that!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Well, I finally suceeded in answering - and that three times, I'm sorry about that.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Lol that is because I have to approve them first Karin. Don't worry, I deleted two. Thanks for commenting :)

      Verwijderen
  10. I have read only one book by her, someday ...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen