vrijdag 22 juni 2012

Gabi Stevens – As you Wish

The second book in the Time of Transition Trilogy series, published April 26, 2011.
Genre: paranormal romance
I have to admit, I have trouble with this cover. I thought it was a female model, but the beard stubble and the broad back makes it male. But who this is supposed to be? If it is Nate, he can’t slash himself in that place.

As you wish

Born into a magical family, Reggie Scott is content to live out her life as a normal human until the moment she's informed that she's a newly appointed fairy godmother. Left struggling to deal with the powers she never thought she'd have, Reggie faces a curse, a plot to overthrow the magical Council, and an entirely too enthusiastic mother - all in a matter of days.
Jonathan Bastion is a man of power and wealth - with a dangerous secret. He desperately hopes that Reggie's new powers will hold the answer to his problem, and he isn't above using her to achieve his goals. What he doesn't expect is how much Reggie will affect him. Her honour, her honesty, and her strength quickly make cracks in his ruthless exterior.
As danger swirls around them both, Jonathan realises that what was once a ploy to get Reggie to assist him has become a battle to keep her safe and protected...in his arms.


Regina, Reggie, Scott is the second daughter of an important Arcani family. She is a disappointment to her family though, as she is born without any magic ability. They made her attend “special” classes at Arcani schools, until she was old enough to go to a groundling school, and finally learn what she needed to know to live as a magicless human. Now she runs a very successful bakery, with the help of two of her former classmates from those “special” classes.
So when the fairy godmothers suddenly appear in her shop, and tell her she is the next fairy godmother, she doesn’t quite believe it at first. She doesn’t have any magic? But a fairy godmother only comes into her magical powers at 27, so she will have more empathy for those without magic. After all, she is a conduit between the groundlings and the Arcani. But her happiness is soon destroyed, as the godmothers have to flee, they are wanted by the council as they are believed to be traitors. As is the first new fairy godmother (from the first book), Kristin. They are fighting an evil sorcerer, who wants the Arcani to come out of hiding, and take over the world, ruling the groundlings. Never mind that they are outnumbered 10.000 to 1, he believes himself superior, and of course the leader/ruler of all. The council does not believe the godmothers, and have acclaimed them traitors.
Reggie will have to find out the truth for herself. Especially now the council is so very strict with her, and have appointed her mothers biggest rival as her arbiter. Sophronia sure likes to bully Reggie, and even wants her to sign an oath of loyalty to the council.

Luckily, Reggie is not doing this alone. Not one, but three men are suddenly interested in her, and want to help her. The first one is one of her daily customers, Nate. He always wears a hat and gloves and a heavy muffler, the only thing visible are his eyes. But he is there for her, and goes with her when she goes to the academy to look for a copy of the book that Tennyson has discovered and was studying, the book written by Merlin and containing the rules and laws of the Arcani. And he defends her against the wild accusations stated by Sophronia.
And then there is Jonathan Bastion, who used to be a real ladies man, and has been a recluse for the last seven years. The head of one of the most powerful wandmaking families in the world, he is very much sought after. And suddenly he has accepted her parents’ invitation to her sisters engagement party.

And third, the mysterious older Frenchmen Luc LeRoy, who also wants to help and guide her in her new role as fairy godmother. Something Jonathan really does not like. But he keeps inviting her and his parents to his house, among with all the other important Arcani in the area, influencing them to his way of seeing things …

Reggie is not really happy with her new life, as it will be impossible for her to keep her bakery and do the work she loves so much. Luckily, the godmothers have foreseen that, and have sent her someone to help out. Alfred, a gnome who cannot do the work gnomes usually do anymore. He is there to take over for her, and he instantly cares for Joy and Tommy. They will be safe from bullies and rude people (Sophronia!) when he is around!

The three of them set out to find out more about the history of the godmothers, can the council really curtail her that much? And are the godmothers traitors, or are they desperately trying to safe their world?


I really enjoyed this book. Of course there are some similarities to the first book, as Reggie also has to learn magic on her own, with the mistakes and pain that comes from it. And of course I knew almost right away the truth about Nate and Jonathan. But I did like it, and the ending was sweet. I liked them all, and I enjoyed the twists in the tale I did not see coming, and the Relics of Merlin that played a role in this one as well.
I also was very happy surprised by Reggie’s mother. At first I thought her a cold social minded mother, who looked down at Reggie due to her lack of magic. But that was not the case at all, she was proud of her new status, and was there for Reggie in her time of need when the first change happened. And I liked her for that, and of course for standing behind them all, and deluding the council.

9 stars.

As lovely secondary characters, there are Joy and Tommy, who use their magic by baking all the things Reggie’s bakery sells. They also suffer from Intellectual and Development Disabilities (IDD). As does Gabi Stevens’ daughter. Gabi is donating 10% of the royalties of this book to Best Buddies, an organization that helps finding friends for people who have IDD. I think this is a great cause. I did not know this when I bought this book, though, so it did not sway me. I also don’t know if there is something like this in the Netherlands. But if you are hesitating about buying this series, perhaps this will make you buy it.



© 2012 Reviews by Aurian


A blogger made me buy it

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

12 opmerkingen:

  1. Reacties
    1. It is a lovely series, and I do hope Gabi sells her next book soon.

      Verwijderen
  2. I still can't believe that these were reviewed on my blog and I still want all of them! LOL I'm so happy you enjoyed this one. I wanna read! :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. You just can't read them all, but I am happy your guestreviewer made me buy these.

      Verwijderen
  3. I'm still not feeling the love, so I think I must accept the fact this series isn't for me.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I would have liked to recommend something nice for you, perhaps my next new author, or golden oldie will catch your interest.

      Verwijderen
  4. Ooooh! I love your "A Blogger Made me Buy it" Button. So cute. I definite need a button like that because I buy a lot of books recommended by bloggers. :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. My best friend made them for me, I just googled the pics, and she added the tekst. Like them a lot.

      Verwijderen
  5. Yup I do not like teh cover either...

    Yay for book 2 being good too! I always fear book2 syndrome since I come across it way too often

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. I've actually ordered the first book after reading your review. If I love it as much as I expect I will, this one is next!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen