zaterdag 2 februari 2013

Bailey Cates – Bewitched, Bothered and Biscotti

The second book in the Magical Bakery Mystery series, published December 31, 2012.
Genre: paranormal cozy mystery
Cover: love it.

Bewitched, Bothered and Biscotti

A WITCH WITH A WHISK
As a new witch - not to mention head chef at Savannah's most enchanting bakery - Katie Lightfoot is still getting used to casting spells, brewing potions, and mastering her magical powers. But that doesn't mean she can't find time to enjoy a picnic with firefighter Declan McCarthy...until she stumbles upon a corpse.
The dead man's tattoo reveals he was a member of a secret society - and it turns out he's missing an object that was very important to the group. When Katie learns the killer was after more than the man's life, she and her Aunt Lucy leave the baked goods on the coolingrack and set off in hot pursuit of a killer.


Katie is working hard, first at the bakery, and then at home on her spell craft, her magic, getting lessons from all the ladies in the book club and of course her aunt, who is a hedge witch like her. She is still not happy that her parents never told her about her heritage, they are both witches but decided not to practice any more. Katie really has a talent for it all, especially for gardening, and cooking with herbs to put a little magic in their muffins and cupcakes and such. She enjoys her little home, her dog who is also her familiar, and her new friendship with her neighbour. And then there are the two handsome men who are both interested in her, and hate each other’s sight: the firefighter Declan McCarthy, a friend of her uncle, and the wizard Steve Dawes. Steve keeps telling her there is something special between them, they are destined to be together, but Katie really is not in the market for a relationship. She has enough on her plate as it is, and she came out of a bad relationship recently. They can be friends, but that is all for now. Or course, that won’t keep the men from trying.

While having a picnic together with Declan, Katie finds a dead body under one of the bushes in the square. She doesn’t believe that he man is a homeless man, even though he is dirty. His clothes are expensive, and so is the watch on his wrist. But what really gets her attention, is the strange tattoo he has on his arm. The police is not happy with her interest in the case, especially not the new Detective in town, who seems to suspect her of something. When she tells her story later to the bookclub, Mimsey recognizes the tattoo, and tells her it belongs to a secret society of druids here in Savannah. And if she wants to know more about it all, she should ask Steve about it …

Steve is not happy with this news, and he can’t tell her anything more about the Druids or who the victim is. Later, Steve’s father brings her a surprise visit, to warn her off as well. Dawes sr. is not a pleasant man, and he wants her to stay out of it. She is not even allowed to tell the police who the deceased man is. How can they find the killer if they don’t know the victim?
Then another link to the secret society is found dead, after Katie has been attacked by Dark Magic in her own home. Steve only managed to safe her just in time after she called him in duress. And her magical protection amulet, is melted down completely. What if she had not worn it? But her whole house needs to be cleansed and blessed and protected again, she can’t stay there for now. Declan is not happy when he finds out that Steve stayed the night at her house, and is certain she has made her choice. But Katie doesn’t want to lose her friendship with Declan, and she certainly has not chosen. Her uncle makes sure they talk and make up, for which Katie is grateful afterwards.

But they have to find out who is killing the druids, and why, and put a stop to it. And with a policeman / witch hunter in town, that is not going to be easy.

I enjoyed the first book in this series very much, so I was looking forward to the second book. I devoured it the day it arrived at my home. I do admire Katie very much, and wish I could learn hedgewitchcraft as well. I really dislike love triangles in books, but I can handle it here. Two very different men, one she can share her magic with, the other who is always there for her as well. But as long as all she wants from them is friendship, I am fine with it. Katie is still learning a lot every day, and the things she bakes sound especially delicious.
I love her uncle and aunt, and the whole coven as secondary characters. They are all different, and special, and loveable. And of course, one of them being a lawyer comes in very handy when the police keep harassing Katie.
Declan, the handsome firefighter or Steve, the reporter slash wizard. I have no idea whom to choose, they are both there for Katie whenever she needs their help. And little Mungo the dog is a great secondary character as well. Very protective and adorable.

I for sure would love to visit this bakery, and take a look in the booknook as well. I am looking forward to reading the next book in this magical series.

9 stars



Autobuy authorLove this book

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

© 2013 Reviews by Aurian

12 opmerkingen:

  1. I want a kitty, a biscotti and to read this one, lol

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Ooo...Druids in Savannah. This is the next cozy I'm reading. Glad you loved it!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. It is a great series Diana, I am so glad to have found this author.

      Verwijderen
  3. I love the cover and pretty soon I am going to devote a month to cozy reads!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Looking forward to that Kim, and perhaps I will join you. There are so many series on my wishlist.

      Verwijderen
  4. Oh this one sounds so good! I love a cozy mystery now and again :) And I love all things baking :) I just check the shelf at the bookstore and no luck on finding book one. I'm going to keep my eyes open waiting for it though!

    Thanks!
    Anna

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hmm not that much baking done in this book, but it has recipes Anna!

      Verwijderen
  5. you know I'm a huge fan of this kind of books even if it seems I don't read a lot of them and each time you make my wishlist grow and grow! it's terrible! Well I buy some from time to time, fortunately I'll be able to read them soon. Maybe I'll be able to make you discover some (don't think so but I hva hope lol). I need to read all the ones I have now. thanks for the review!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Looking forward to your reviews Melliane, and you are the death of my wishlist as well ;)

      Verwijderen
  6. If you loved this then you really need to try Pies and Predjudice by Ellery Adams. Just finished it today! Wonderful read!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi Amber, thanks for visiting. I did read that one and loved it, looking forward to the next book!

      Verwijderen