woensdag 11 juni 2014

Jenn Bennett – Grim Shadows

The second book in the Roaring Twenties series, published June 3, 2014.
Genre: historical paranormal romance
Cover: good

Grim Shadows photo w503034_zpsd5763db0.jpg

It's the Roaring Twenties in foggy San Francisco. Prohibition is on, inhibitions are low, and dark magic is rolling into town…
Archaeologist Lowe Magnusson is packing something everyone wants. The djed amulet, a priceless Egyptian artifact, will fetch Lowe a hefty paycheck from one of San Francisco's wealthiest. But when the handsome Swede runs into his patron's uptight daughter, what he once considered easy money becomes maddeningly complicated…
Cursed with deadly spirits as her constant companions, curator Hadley Bacall must keep calm to hold her dangerous specters at bay and prevent them from lashing out at anything—or anyone. Trouble is, Lowe is driving her crazy, but her father needs the artifact he's transporting. While Hadley can feel the amulet's power, she can't fathom the destruction—or the desire—it's about to stir up.


Lowe Magnusson is returning from a dig in Egypt minus one finger, and with a price less artifact. He already has a buyer lined up, which is a good thing, as he is deeply in debt to a dangerous man who has discovered that he was sold a forgery ...
But before he can deliver the artifact to his buyer (or another forgery) he runs into trouble when some thugs are after him to steal the artifact. To make matters worse, the daughter of his buyer is waiting for him, and gets right in the middle of the action. To save her life and his own, Lowe sure has to think on his feet.

Hadley’s father is ill, and losing his eyesight, and Hadley is determined to take over his position as head of the archeology department in the museum they both work for. She has worked hard the past years, and she has earned it. So when she finds out that her father has offered Lowe Magnusson the position, if he in turn will find some other artifact her mother has hidden 20 years ago, she is very upset. But she will make a deal with Lowe, to help him find the things her mother has hidden, so he will get paid by her father, and in turn he will have to turn down the job.

Mutual attraction sizzles between them, but Hadley has her own secrets to guard, and she does not really trust Lowe, with good reason. She is astonished with the ease and of how much he lies, does he even know the truth himself? But treasure hunting together adds to the adrenaline, especially as they are running into danger time and again. And slowly they open up to the other, sharing some of their past, and Hadley sees that Lowe does care about some people.

They both had some major childhood trauma to deal with, and learning about this and how they dealt with it, made me like both Hadley and Lowe more.

Another creepy man is after Hadley though, he can see the dark spirits that appear when she looses her temper, and he wants to use her. But he is closely connected to her parents past, of which Hadley discovers more and more disturbing details.


An action filled second book in the series, with some great characters and a good adventure. It was creepy at times, but very original, and I liked that. Though I have to admit, I had some trouble getting into the story, as I did not really like Lowe at first. He is a liar, a con artist, and a womanizer. He is obsessed with Hadley’s backside (like his brother with his wife’s freckles!) and her great taste in lingerie. That last part was fun to read about, a guilty pleasure for Hadley, who dresses very demurely, covered as much as possible, but underneath it all ...
I enjoyed how Lowe challenged Hadley to do things completely out of character, and stop being the good girl all the time.

Still, the ending, though it was good, I still thought Lowe screwed up there, and Hadley gave in without a protest. He could have talked with her before he did some things, but of course, that is the modern woman in me talking, and this takes places in the Roaring Twenties.

I enjoyed the short appearance of the first heroine, Aida, and would have like to see some more of her.

All in all, a really good second book in a series, with characters that grew on me, and an exciting adventure to follow, mixed in with archaeology, mythology and suspense.

8 stars.



Autobuy author

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

© 2014 Reviews by Aurian


24 opmerkingen:

  1. Bitter Spirits is so good Felicia! You won't regret it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I really can't wait to get started on this series. I do enjoy her writing.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Reacties
    1. Just make me another box Blodeuedd, and I will order it for you :)

      Verwijderen
  4. I loved Bennett's Arcadia Bell series but I didn't enjoy the Bitter Spirits as much so I'm not sure if I want to pick his one up or not. I'll probably cave at some point lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. That is a shame Karen, as I fell very fast in love with Bitter Spirits. I hope if you do pick it up, you will enjoy it. Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Verwijderen
  5. Oooh I have some of her books on my TBR, haven't gotten around to them yet though!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. This book was great isn't it? I had a good moment with it. But I'm curious about book 3 now.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. O yes Melliane, I wonder if it will be about the sister.

      Verwijderen
  7. It's high on my TBR. It's on it's way from Bookdepo, I hope it will arrive soon.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Lol Maia, if it has not arrived yet, it is not on your TBR yet ;) but you can always borrow my copy.

      Verwijderen
    2. Today it did arrive! So when I have time....

      Verwijderen
  8. It looks like all of us have either already read this and loved it, or have WAY high up on our TBR lists. I've already said I'm one of the latter, I think, and REALLY--can't wait to squeeze this series in ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I am sure you will enjoy it Jessica, especially if you like the Australian tv series Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

      Verwijderen
  9. I really want to try this series. It's on my TBR! :D Wonderful review.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thanks Victoria! I hope you will love it when you start reading it.

      Verwijderen
  10. lol sometimes it's hard to turn the modern woman off and get into the feel/thoughts of the time period. I've got book one at home waiting for me :) I need to start these soon I think!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Lots of bloggers seem to be rating this one slightly lower thank book 1, and although I can understand why, I still loved it. Jenn Bennett's in my top 5 after all!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Absolutely Carmel, Jenn Bennett sure knows how to spin a tale!

      Verwijderen