donderdag 24 december 2015

Darynda Jones - Fifth Grave past the Light

The fifth book in the Charley Davidson series, published July 9, 2013.
Genre: urban fantasy
Cover: purple

Fifth Grave past the Light photo 51juAJ3ky2L.SX316_zpsurpwq8bi.jpg

Charley Davidson isn't your everyday, run-of-the-mill grim reaper. She's more of a paranormal private eye/grim reaper extraordinaire. However, she gets sidetracked when the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, moves in next door. To further complicate matters, Reyes is her main suspect in an arson case. Charley has vowed to stay away from him until she can find out the truth… but then dead women start appearing in her apartment, one after another, each lost, confused, and terrified beyond reason. When it becomes apparent that her own sister, Gemma, is the serial killer's next target, charley has no choice but to ask for Reyes's help. Arsonist or not, he's the one man alive who could protect Gemma no matter who or what comes at her. But he wants something in return. Charley. All of her, body and soul. And to keep her sister safe, it is a price she is willing to pay.


It has been a year and a half since I read the previous book, but I was not lost for a page. I tumbled right back into the story, as the book practically picked up where the previous one ended. It took me so long to pick up this book, as I did not really like the fourth grave book. It was too forced funny, it had to be a pun with every sentence, and the hype around Reyes failed to entertain me.
So I am very happy that I liked this book a lot more. Sure, it still has lots of humor and especially Charley doesn't seem to be able to be serious for a minute. But she did feel more grown up to me this time, even though she does tease her best friend and collegue Cookie continuously.
Someone is torching all the apartments and houses Reyes has ever lived in, was tortured in by his stepfather, and Charley thinks it is Reyes. So far there have been no casualties, but that could change with the next fire. But she is wrong, but the real arsonist is someone very close to Reyes.
Meanwhile, a "normal" P.I. job with a cheating husband goes horribly wrong, and Charley pays the price for that, big time. I do wonder why Reyes did not save her, why he did not sense her peril. It was her detective uncle who came to her rescue after …

Reyes has lot of surprises in store for Charley in this book, and I really liked them. And especially the last page! I do wonder what will happen next and I won't wait so long to read the next book. It is already on my shelves.
Garrett of all people tells Charley a bit more about herself, and her purpose, and I found that to be very interesting. And I do hope that Charley can make up with Rocket and his little sister after what happened.

8 stars.



buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

© 2015 Reviews by Aurian

8 opmerkingen:

  1. One day I'm going to have to try her out. Hope you have a great Christmas, Aurian!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thanks Anna! I do hope you had a lovely Christmas as well :)

      Verwijderen
  2. All the best and merry Xmass! Let the next year be better than the previous one!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thanks Bridget! I hope you have a wonderful 2016 as well :)

      Verwijderen
  3. I do love this series. It is great on audio. It is just so funny. I love Charley and Cookie's humor.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen