maandag 16 augustus 2010

Tamar Myers – Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime

The second book in the Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery series, with recipes!

Parsley

Hollywood comes to picturesque Amish country when a film crew goes on location at Magdalena Yoder’s quaint PennDutch Inn. But after the excitement of an “open casting” has even the staid Amish battling for bit parts, the filming hits a snag – a body in Magdalena’s barn impaled to a post with a pitchfork.

The dead man is the film’s assistant director, and the not-too-swift local sheriff definitely rules out suicide. The number one suspect, he decides, is Magdalena. Shocked to find her reputation at stake, Magdalena is in a scramble to track down the real killer. What a stew to be in – especially since her only clue is a grocery list headed by “parsley”. It’s not much to go on, but Magdalena has a nose for sniffing out the truth. She knows the lay of the land, the character of the people – and she knows the disagreeable ingredients that can stir up a murderer!


It took me a while to finish this book. Still not sure I like the series. I thoroughly dislike Magdalena’s sister Susannah and her behaviour, but I do like Freeni, and Magdalena’s humor. For a spinster in her forty’s, she sure has suitors after her! Her new/old neighbour, the town’s veterinarian, and a little man named Jumbo Jim.

As there are almost no clues in the book, I had no idea who the real murderer was. Nor did Magdalena. So the ending was a surprise.


I haven’t been reading a lot lately, working overtime, and being tired when I finally come home. This weekend, due to a splitting headache, I took up some old friends, the Earth Children by Jean M. Aurel. And lo and behold! I see on fantasticfiction that next year, there is a sixth book coming out in this great series, which started in 1980!
So that date has been put on my calendar immediately, and I phoned my twin sister to tell her this news!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten