zondag 16 september 2012

Kate Collins – Dearly Depotted

The third book in the Flower Shop Mystery series, published July 5, 2005.
Genre: cozy mystery
Cover: cute and fitting.

Dearly Depotted

Well, it looks like my cousin Jillian is heading for the altar again, and guess which bridesmaid is doing the flowers? Yep, me, Abby Knight, law school dropout, owner of Bloomers, and – did I mention – exfiancée to the best man! That’s a bumper crop of trouble, even before I find a party crushing guest dead at the reception…

Pushing up daisies.
Abby has her hands full at Jillian's wedding doing triple duty as florist, bridesmaid, and grandma-sitter-all while wearing a horrendous floral print that makes her look like a clown. But the real trouble starts when the groom's 90-year-old grandmother disappears from the reception. While hunting for her, Abby discovers the body of Jack Snyder, one of the guests, behind the minister’s platform in the gazebo. And when Abby’s assistant’s new boyfriend becomes a suspect, she decides she must find out who killed Jack in the pulpit.


I was a bit sad after the second book, that there was no mention of the wedding itself in the end, but well, that is a big part of this book! It just continues where book 2 left of. Abby sure is not done with Jillian, who is getting cold feat as usual, but Abby encourages her to go on with it. After all, doesn’t she love Claymore, or at least the jewellery he is giving her? Abby needs the big check this wedding is earning her, and for that, the wedding must go on.
And so she has to endure a few crisis, but in the end, the vows are spoken, and her cousin is wed. Of course that is not the end of things, a dead body is found before the happy couple can go on their honeymoon, and it is up to Abby to make sure they can leave on time.


Suspects galore, and to clear the name of her assistant Grace’s new boyfriend, Abby will have to use all her talent and resources to find out the truth. Luckily, she has Marco to help her and tell her what to do. But is Marco really interested in her? Who is that gorgeous women he is hanging out with lately? And why is Pryce suddenly hanging around her again? Does he really want her back as Marco insinuates? And will she take him back if he asks? After all, she once planned to marry him and have his children and live happily ever after.

Abby was very grateful when her assistant Lottie’s four big sons helped her with her biggest client, Trudee DeWitt’s big fourth of July party, but when Karl got a crush on Trudee, that was certainly not done. She was afraid of alienating Trudee’s big husband when he found out, but to put a stop to a young male’s hormones is not an easy thing. And Trudee herself seems to be totally clueless to Karl’s adoration.
Pryce keep asking for Abby’s help in handling his grandmother, as she has always liked Abby, and thinks him very stupid for dumping her. And as Abby also likes his grandmother, who is a great character, she helps as much as she can. And when Pryce finally tells her what he wants, I loved how she handled it! Go Abby!


Again, I did not figure out who the real murderer was. I also had no real feeling for one of the suspects though, so I was really curious in the end. Especially to the who and the why. The end also promises a great start for the next book, but sometimes I really want to kick Abby to stand up for herself. And her budding relationship with Marco doesn’t get very much farther either, which I regret, as he is a great hero. I want them together and in love. But perhaps Abby has to grow up a little more first. This series is growing on me, bit by bit, as each book captivates my attention more. Which is a good thing, as I have the next 8 books on my shelves.

I enjoy the bits in the flower shop, the flowers used in the arrangements, how she arranges baskets and such, and just the flow between Abby and her collegues/employees.

7 stars.



Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

© 2012 Reviews by Aurian

9 opmerkingen:

  1. Hm..ok it does sound good but I will start with another series if I EVER start a cozy

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi Blodeuedd, this is not my favourite cozy series, but it is growing on me. If you ever do want to start one, let me recommend some.

      Verwijderen
  2. Hm... I usually think of cozies as singular... not series oriented. Might be worth a try!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. That is strange Melissa, in my opinion, cozies are always long running series.

      Verwijderen
  3. Didn't know this one but it's so nice to have the mystery all along the book. You keep making me add new books in my wishlist.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi Melliane, if you are unfamiliair with cozy mysteries, there are some other series I think you will enjoy more. Perhaps the ones with magic.

      Verwijderen
    2. I like some cozy mysteries, but it's always a little difficult to know the ones I would like to read.

      Verwijderen
  4. I have the first book in this series, but my mom snatched it before I could read it, LOL. I think I'd love the flower shop.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi Diana, I was very disappointed with the first book, but the series is growing on me. Review is on here somewhere ;)

      Verwijderen