Maia: I've read ten books last month. I was on a Jayne Ann Krentz (JAK) binge and read (most) of the Arcane society books that I hadn't read before. I started with the Jayne Castle books, then the Jayne Ann Krentz books, and now I'm on the Amanda Quick books.
Next to that I've read two digital books by Maya Banks and last but not least, Jean Johnson’s latest: Theirs not to reason why-book, Hellfire.
The books I enjoyed the most are:
1. Midnight Crystal by Jayne Castle
2. Hellfire by Jean Johnson
3. In too Deep by Jayne Ann Krentz
I want to recommend not one book, but the whole Arcane Society series by JAK in all her guises:
1. Second Sight (2006) by Amanda Quick
2. White Lies (2007) by Jayne Ann Krentz
3. Sizzle and Burn (2007) by Jayne Ann Krentz
4. The Third Circle (2008) by Amanda Quick
5. Running Hot (2008) by Jayne Ann Krentz
6. The Perfect Poison (2009) by Amanda Quick
Arcane Society: Dreamlight Trilogy
1. Fired Up (2009) by Jayne Ann Krentz
2. Burning Lamp (2010) by Amanda Quick
3. Midnight Crystal (2010) by Jayne Castle
Arcane Society: Looking Glass Trilogy
1. In Too Deep (2010) by Jayne Ann Krentz
2. Quicksilver (2011) by Amanda Quick
3. Canyons of Night (2011) by Jayne Castle
short digital story
The Scargill Cove Case Files (2011) by Jayne Ann Krentz
These books span the centuries and two worlds in tales featuring the mysterious Arcane Society, a secret organization devoted to paranormal research. It has everything. Historical romance the way I like it, contemporary romance with some suspense and futuristic romance in the world of Harmony with added bonus of the dustbunnies!
I love the way JAK writes her characters. The men and women are smart, down-to-earth people who now what they want and quickly see the love in each other. No silly misunderstandings, no TSTL heroines and no alpha a-holes! There is love, humour and some suspense. My kind of stories!
She does have a rather standard plot building. The protagonists meet, fall in love quite quickly, act together to vanquish a foe, and at the end there is the "unexpected" twist with one more bad guy/woman who wants to kill our heroes.
But I don't mind, these are books that I love to read when I'm feeling under the weather, I know what I'll get and I know I will like it!
Aurian: Thanks for the recommendations Maia! I have read all of those books as well, and love them all (so it is not strange we are good friends as we share such a great taste in books!).
So readers, tell me, have you read any of these books? Do you want to?
© 2013 Reviews by Aurian