vrijdag 24 januari 2014

DNF: Kylie Logan – Chili con Carnage

The first book in the Chili Cook-Off series, published October 1, 2013.
Genre: cozy mystery
Cover: nice

Chili con Carnage photo n427424_zpsf7489f1a.jpg

Bean there…done that…
Romance is supposed to be the spice of life. But Maxie Pierce is so done with bad relationships—well, almost. She just has to get rid of the latest loser, Roberto. Besides, she has more important things to worry about. Her daddy, Texas Jack Pierce, king of the chili cook-off circuit, has been missing for nearly six weeks now. In his place, she must team up with her irritating half sister, Sylvia, to promote the family business at the Taos Chili Showdown, to be judged by celebrity chef Carter Donnelly.
But when Maxie discovers Roberto's body in the chef's trailer—only hours after publicly breaking up with him while wearing a giant red chili pepper costume—she suddenly finds she's the one in the spotlight as the police pepper her with questions. Now this Chili Chick needs to kick up the search to catch the real killer and get back to finding her father…


After not really enjoying my previous book by Kylie Logan, Mayhem at the Orient Express, I was not so sure about this book anymore, so it took me a while to pick it up and read. I did not get very far though. From the first pages, I disliked both the main characters, Maxie and her half sister Sylvia. They are supposed to be working together, making a living and finding their missing father. But they snipe at each other and fight and do everything but work together.
Maxie is almost continuesly dressed up like a giant red chili pepper, and tapdancing her way through the pages, and Sylvia is working hard in the back ground for her own goals.

So when the first few scenes have played out, I was too irritated already, so when the body is found, I was done with the story. I just have zero interest in finding out who did it, or what happened to their father.

This author’s voice is just not for me, her writing style, her sense of humor, her characters.

If you think you would enjoy this kind of humor, think perhaps Fawlty Towers, and you want to read this book, and the Orient Express one, let me know and I will send them to you.

1 star.



© 2014 Reviews by Aurian

13 opmerkingen:

  1. Aw bummer Aurian. Stinks when you just cannot connect with characters or the authors voice. That's nice of you to pass them on to someone who thinks it might be their style! Hope the next read is an amazing one :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I made sure of that Anna ;) but no one wants the books.

      Verwijderen
  2. 1...1! I never see that bad from you, yikes!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Oh no! A cozy that didn't work for you? I don't think it would work for me then either. :(

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. It doesn't sound like my kind of book/character either. I did enjoy her first Button Mystery. I need to catch up on that series.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Yeah, sometimes it's just impossible to find common ground with an author. I appreciate your honest review.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thanks Carmel, there are people in my cozy mysteries group on Facebook who did love them though.

      Verwijderen
  6. oh I'm sorry it didn't work... It's difficult when you don't like the characters, no need to continue. At least, you tried.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. I am not going to try this author again, and I sure hope I did not pre-order more of her books without writing it down ...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen