woensdag 15 januari 2014

Recommendations from Peggy for January 2014.

In order to bring some more variety to my blog, I have asked some of my bookish friends to tell about the books they have in the past month, and to give us a recommendation. Today’s post is made by January 2014.

Peggy:

I have read 12 books in the past month, and the 3 books I enjoyed the most are:

1. The gathering – Kelley Armstrong

 photo n357834_zps571606c3.jpg

2. The heart of Christmas – Mary Balogh, Nicola Cornick, Courtney Milan

 photo c26191_zpsf9d6c36d.jpg

3. The statistical probability of love at first sight – Jennifer E. Smith

 photo n382657_zps6453c1e4.jpg

The one I can recommend to all Aurian’s readers is:

Kelley Armstrong – The gathering

 photo n357834_zpsb2387b76.jpg

On the heels of the wildly popular "The Darkest Powers" series comes the first in another supernatural YA trilogy from New York Times bestelling author Kelley Armstrong.

Maya lives in a small medical-research town on Vancouver Island. How small? You can't find it on the map. It has less than two-hundred people, and her school has only sixty-eight students - for every grade from kindergarten to twelve. Now, strange things are happening in this claustrophobic town, and Maya's determined to get to the bottom of them. First, the captain of the swim team drowns mysteriously in the middle of a calm lake. A year later, mountain lions start appearing around Maya's home, and they won't go away. Her best friend, Daniel, starts getting negative vibes from certain people and things. It doesn't help that the new bad boy in town, Rafe, has a dangerous secret - and he's interested in one special part of Maya's anatomy: Her paw-print birthmark.


First, I want to wish everyone a wonderful 2014! I hope you all have a great year full of love and fantastic books.

Now my review, a friend of mine was really excited about the Darkness Rising series from Kelley Armstrong. So I decided to read this trilogy in my Christmas holiday. I read her Darkness Powers series a few years back and I really liked it. So I was really looking forward to her new trilogy and I wasn’t disappointed!

This series is about a sixteen-year-old girl, Maya. She is adopted and lives with her parents in a small town on Vancouver Island. In that town there is a medical-research center. Everything is going well for Maya and her friends, until a friend of her drowns in a lake. Everyone thinks it’s an accident. But is it an accident?

When a woman start asking questions in her town, Maya first thinks this is another journalist who wants to know more about the medical-research center (this happends a lot) but this woman is more interested in the children who lives there then in the medical-research center. That is something new and strange. Does it have anything to do with the talents that some children have, like Maya’s talent of healing animals or her best friend’s talent for ‘feeling’ out people and situations? Then the woman is found dead and now Maya is looking for answers. Luckily, she isn’t alone in this. She has help from her friends and the new bad boy from school (who makes her feel…a lot of things). But what do you do when you discovered that you aren’t so normal as you thought? That you and your friends have supernatural powers?
The more they find out, the more dangerous it becomes.

I really liked this series. There was never a dull moment in it. You get to know more about the supernatural world and the supernaturals.
I hope that Kelley Armstrong will write more books about this world. I really want to read more about this supernatural world.


Aurian: Thanks for the recommendation Peggy! I have not yet read a book by Kelley Armstrong, but I sure want to. I do have this trilogy on my shelves.



© 2014 Reviews by Aurian

11 opmerkingen:

  1. Ohh I do wanna try try the Armstrong YA book

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I still need to read the Gathering. I really like her writing!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. That is good to know Melissa, as I still have to start reading her books.

      Verwijderen
  3. I'm not a big YA fan. But I have and one day will read her "women of the Otherworld" series. Thanks for reminding me of her.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Not everything she has written is YA Maia. You can borrow my stash.

      Verwijderen
  4. oh The statistical was a nice read, I had it in French and it was a nice surprise. great choice!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. So many great series to try Felicia.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen