zondag 22 november 2015

Jennifer Ashley - Perils of the Heart

A stand alone novel, published November 1, 2002.
Genre: historical romance
Cover: nice

Perils of the Heart photo n134757_zpsg39uwaqg.jpg

Evangeline Clemens knew she tread in dangerous waters. Sent to seduce the captain of the merchantman Aurora, the English governess trembled in her innocence. Her stepbrother's life - and the life of the rugged sailor she must tempt - depended on her success. She swore to surrender her body, her virtue, anything Austin Blackwell demanded. But she never expected to relinquish her heart.
On a mission for the American Colonies, Austin suspected the timid temptress was a skilled spy ordered to sabotage his plans. She played the part of an untried miss to perfection, her inexperienced fumbling driving him wild with desire. But after sampling her sweetness, after one harrowing night fraught with passion and peril, the commander vowed to navigate any course to discover the truth. For his soul mutinied at the prospect of sailing into the future without the courageous lady by his side.


As far as I know, this is Jennifer Ashley's first book, and as you all know, she is one of my very favourite authors. But this book is so very different from what I know from her hand. It is really silly and unbelievable and I had a lot of fun reading it. No, it is not a pirate romance, as Austin is a merchant captain, and not a pirate. Lot of things happen to Evangeline on her journey to Boston and the one thing is even more unbelievable as the next. But she is a courageous woman and does her best to survive. And read her book of devotions.
After finding her fiancé in bed with her full-breasted maid, she broke her engagement to the anger of her stepfather and mother. They wanted nothing to do with her anymore, and send her bespectacled self of to a cousin in America who would find her a job as a governess.

I can't recommend it to you if you love "proper" historical romance, as I prefer you read some of her amazing series in stead, be they historical romance or paranormal. If you do like silly and fun though, go on and read it.

7 stars.



Autobuy author

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

© 2015 Reviews by Aurian

10 opmerkingen:

  1. I love this author!! She is so fun, but I haven't read this one.
    But it can be refreshing to read a silly story sometimes.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. You forgot the cover!
    I don't have this on. She is a favorite writer, so I'll probably buy/borrow this one when I find it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. I like her books but I don't know this one. It looks like a good book. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. No it is really not Peggy. Try her Mackenzies instead!

      Verwijderen
  4. I may have to try it. I read one of her first ones The Pirate Next Door and ended up DNFing it. Something about it just didn't mesh with me. But I've loved everything else I've read of hers so should give those early ones another go probably :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I did enjoy her pirates Anna, but not as much as her later books./ But then, I started with her paranormals.

      Verwijderen