vrijdag 6 november 2015

Nora Roberts - Lawless

The third book in the Jack's History series, published April 1, 1989.
Genre: historical romance / historical cowboy romance
Cover: nice

Lawless photo n65668_zps9s6lmugb.jpg

Half-Apache and all man, Jake Redman was more than a match for the wild Arizona Territory. Sarah Conway, on the other hand, was an Eastern lady who belonged anywhere else but on the rugged land Jake loved. Still, the stubborn beauty was determined to make Lone Bluff her home . . .
Though Jake was annoyed to find himself playing guardian angel to this tantalizing innocent, he was even more disgusted to find he liked it. Because beneath Sarah's ladylike demeanor beat the heart of a true pioneer, a women he yearned to make his own.


I think this is the historical romance one of Nora's contemporary heroines was writing in her story. I have had it on my shelves for years, and now I have finally picked it up and started reading it, and I was mesmerized. By the story and by the main characters. I loved it.
Sarah Conway was raised as a lady, she learned how to run a large household, have parties and be a good wife for a rich man. She thought her father had it made in the Wild West, and she missed him so much, so when she turned 18, she was determined to go live with him. Sure he can use a hostess?
But when she finally arrives in Lone Bluff, after a harrowing journey where the stage coach was attacked by wild Indians, she finds out that her father has just died. And there was no big house with 4 rooms and a parlor waiting for her, but just a small shack. Still, she was determined to stay in her father's house and make a future for herself. After all, she is a very skilled seamstress and designer, and she just can't afford the journey back East.

Her father was a gold miner and his claim was not very prosperous. Still, strange things keep happening, and the man who rescued her from the Apaches, Jake Redman, keeps rescuing her, and searching out her company.

I don't want to spoil anything, of course there is more to this plot but I loved this story and I hope you will love it as well. The ending was of the kind I absolutely love, and yes, it involves a gunshot.

10 stars.



Autobuy authorLove this book

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

© 2015 Reviews by Aurian

6 opmerkingen:

  1. Reacties
    1. It is a job for her, she cranks out 4 books a year or so. And has a big family.

      Verwijderen
  2. I've been seeing more of her books being reviewed lately. Not just the most recent but these as well. This sounds good and I think I'll have to look at her older work too.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. I read the contemporary one, Loving Jack, a long time ago. But I still can remember that she "wrote" this book. I haven't read it yet, but someday soon will!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I think you will like it, even if this is not your genre, westerns.

      Verwijderen