donderdag 5 november 2015

Recommendations from Freya for November 2015.

In order to bring some more variety to my blog, I have asked some of my bookish friends to tell about the books they have in the past month, and to give us a recommendation. Today’s post is made by Freya from Holland.

Freya:

I’ve been reading Nalini Singh for her Guild Hunter series and Psy Changeling series. They are both great. I especially love her GH books about Elena and Raphael, Dimitri, and recently Naasir.

But Nalini also has a third series, called Rock Kiss. Up to now it consists of four stories:

1. Rock Addiction – the story of Zachary Fox and Molly Webster.

 photo 51dDhhif2rL.SX64_SY100_zpsbozlteon.jpg

Fox is the lead singer of the rock band Schoolboy Choir and Molly is the (half)sister of the band’s publicist. They have an immediate attraction, but Molly has a past that makes her almost unable to live in the lime-light.

2. Rock Courtship – the story of David Rivera and Thea Arsana.

 photo 519yJ5C6M5L.SX64_SY100_zpsmdbc79fj.jpg

David is the drummer of SC and Thea the publicist. They are attracted to each other but Thea doesn’t date clients. This is the story of how David makes her change her mind.

3. Rock Hard – the story of Charlotte Baird and Gabriel Bishop.

 photo 51ZH8KKNknL.SX64_SY100_zpsdxg1chn9.jpg

Charlotte is Molly’s best friend. The obstacle in her relationship with her new boss Gabriel is big and has to do with Charlotte’s past.

4. Rock Redemption – the story of Noah St.John and Kit Devigny.

 photo 51eVClxgHeL.SX64_SY100_zpswpjikvmy.jpg

Noah is the guitarist of SC and Kit is a good friend of the band members, ever since before they were famous. She loves Noah, but he has to overcome his past if he wants to find happiness.

I’ve had the flu for a week and Rock Redemption arrived that week. These two circumstances made me (re)read the whole Rock Kiss series. I loved Redemption, it was heart-breaking to read about Noah’s past and what happened to him. I can understand his difficulties coping with that.
They are thrown together because of Kit’s career and that’s when Kit can learn to see through Noah’s self-destructive behaviour. She was a bit dense in the beginning, but when she understood what happened, she was there for him and helped him overcome it. It was a good, emotional read.
Having read Redemption, I went back to the other books. Because they all take place at (almost) the same time, you see their lives from different angles. Little things and conversations become more meaningful and you get more invested in the lives of the band members and their loves.
This is one of the reasons I love rereading my favourite books. You find little gems you missed the first time and get new insights into the story, especially if it’s a series. The characters gather more depth and the story gets richer when you read them a second (or third) time.

Freya photo Freya 2_zpseia5fuhr.jpg

Aurian: Thanks for the recommendation Freya! One day I will take the jump and read some of her contemporary romances. But for now, I will stay with her paranormals!



© 2015 Reviews by Aurian

8 opmerkingen:

  1. Hi Freya, sorry to hear that you were sick. I hope you feel better now. But it was great that you then had the time to reread the Rock kiss series.I love Nalini Singh her books but at the moment I'm really behind with reading her latest books but I hope that I will have read them before Berlin. Nice review :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Yes I do. I love all Nalini's books. The guild hunters will stay my favorites, but her two other series are also great. I even started reading her Harlequins!

      Verwijderen
  2. Nalini Singh - not an author I appreciate but thank you for the post!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Everybody to their own taste, but I love her writing and, after meeting her, find her a lovely lady.

      Verwijderen
  3. That series is on my tbr pile :) Hope you're feeling better soon!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Luckely I am. Took me a couple of weeks, but all is well now. I recommend reading it!

      Verwijderen